วันพุธที่ 21 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2555

Attended the book launch talk by Dr. Piriya Krairiksh




This evening (21 Nov 2012), I went to Asian House in London post code W1G 7LP. This place is nearby Oxford Circus but take at least ten minutes walk to there. I attended the book launch talk by Dr. Piriya Krairiksh (ดร.พิริยะ ไกรฤกษ์) in topic The Roots of Thai Art. I knew this event via Face Book social network, someone created this event and invited me through FB. First time, I saw the post, the topic of talk attracted my interest a lot and I promised with myself that I will join in. I did reply on FB accepting to go to this event immediately, even I had to pay 8 pounds for ticket.

I arrived there around 6.45 pm. (talk started 6.45 pm.), with the feeling of frustrating because I was getting lost and it took me long time for finding Asia House. Finally, I reached there quite on time, I think. At Asia House on the first floor, which the attendant had to walk upstairs as the second floor. The pretty and luxury room with a huge and gorgeous chandelier was hanged on the ceiling. Many people at least fifty in formal suit and dress were sitting on the chair. It almost had not space left for pretty late person like me but I survived to sit on the chair in the third line from the back.

Dr. Piriya presented his new book The Roots of Thai Art, which was translated by Narisa Chakrabongse. The presentation was repented via Power Point and talked by the author, its took forty minutes longs. I quite a bit disappointment about the talk because the speaker only gave information in one aspects of Thai Art. He presented  the relationship between religious and Thai Arts. He proposed the hypothesis that to understand the roots of Thai Art the scholar or researcher has to know and explore religious. The religious reflects the arts in Thailand. Actually, I agree with his hypothesis but I think it was quite roughly conclusion as they use the title The Roots of Thai Art. I think that they could provide more extensive evaluation of the relationship between Thai Art and other issues much more than only religious point. Regarding to the author assumption, it shaped the author talked and show the surface of Thai Arts and the method that he used for researching this work. He just represented the comparison of Buddha images from different source and period such as Thailand, Cambodia, China , Indonesia and also Japan sometime. Then, he stated that all these had influence each other and it affected to all art in Southeast Asia.

The talked ended with my confusing and had a very small questions from the attendants. However, this work demonstrated the great effort and the passion of the author in Thai Arts. Dr. Piriya contributed to Thailand and Thai Art in sense of dissemination Thai Arts to the world at least in the UK.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น